Thursday, June 21, 2012

Zorin OS 5.2 - "In The Beginning"


After dismantling my FreeNAS server in March 2012, I had some leftover computer parts to start another computer build. Initially, I wanted to have Windows 7 as its operating system; however, my wallet did not have the $200 needed to purchase it. While surfing the Internet one day, I happened to come across Zorin OS. It is an operating system based on Ubuntu. From their website (http://zorin-os.com/), they state the operating system is “designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux”. After all, the price was right - “free”! I started to download the ISO image and downloaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. At this time, Zorin OS was at version 5.2.

First, I started using the live DVD just to play around with this operating system. After about three to five days of using the live DVD, I decided to do a complete install to a hard drive with my leftover computer parts and to use Zorin OS as its operating system. I was using the 32-bit version for about one month that I really liked this operating system a lot. However, I did notice some glitches in the operating system. After it performed an update, the menu started showing duplicate items. The indicator applet located on the lower right of the screen would sometimes not display properly being completely blank or only showing parts of it. Both glitches were getting annoying but the occurrence of it happening seemed to happen less as new updates were installed.

On the most powerful desktop I have in the house, I decided to give Zorin OS 64-bit a try. I had Windows 7 as its operating system already, but I installed another hard drive exclusively for Zorin OS. My first issue was installing the operating system to a new hard drive. When I booted the installation DVD, my monitor started to display garbage. I could not see if the install was performing correctly as all I could see was garbled graphics. I searched the Zorin OS forum for suggestions. The installation DVD probably did not like my NVIDIA graphics card. I removed the graphics card from my computer and used the on-board graphics instead. The install was finally successful. Another problem I had after the installation was that the system clock kept changing when switching between Windows 7 and Zorin OS. I could not find an immediate solution at that time, so I abandoned the idea of using Zorin OS on my 64-bit computer.

I wish I could have posted this back in March 2012 and started blogging about using Zorin OS. It is now June 2012, so I decided better late than never. Also, I am quite a newbie at blogging and it took me awhile to configure Blogger the way I like it. I'm going to stop writing (or should I say blogging) at this point.

To be continued...



No comments:

Post a Comment